
I haven't been posting since we have been way too busy with nursing and pumping every 2 hours. Unfortunately I'm not producing enough milk and Emmeline just hasn't been getting enough to eat. She just hasn't been gaining weight like we would like. I've desperately been trying to avoid giving her formula but it looks like we may have to supplement just a little until my super duper milk supply gets established. And after spending hours with a lactation consultant it looks like nursing and then pumping every 2 hours is the way to do that. I don't mind the lack of sleep or the constant washing of pump parts the worst part is waking this sweet little girl from her deep sleep. It breaks my heart to get her undressed and change her diaper just to get her to wake up. But I'll do whatever it takes to put some weight on her.
2 comments:
Hang in there and don't stress! I know that's hard advice to take. But I've totally been there and done that. get fenugreek and take 3 pills 3x per day. And I found that Lucy did just fine with an oz. or 2 of formula ONLY AFTER I nursed (when she wanted it), and it kept us from having to go back for weight checks all the time. And I nursed for 11 months so it can be done both ways!
Don't stress about the formula. Doing both the breast and bottle is the way to go at the beginning. Just have Craig give her a few supplemental bottles here and there and don't look back. You'll have more milk in a few weeks so it won't be an issue and then you can cut out the formula. It's actually a nice option to have -- having Emmeline take both pumped milk and formula.
Also be sure to drink plenty of water and continue to eat like a wild hungry pregnant lady. It helps keep the milk supply high. :)
Post a Comment